Sunday, November 26, 2017

Halifax

Had a  great trip this week, meeting up with my sister and her husband  to celebrate my sister's
birthday. We were also  going back to visit  the town I grew up in - Halifax  West Yorkshire.  I also go to visit one of my favourite places in   Yorkshire - Halifax's Piece Hall.

The Piece Hall is a Grade I  listed building in Halifax, West Yorkshire, England. It was built as a cloth for handloom weavers to sell the woollen cloth "pieces" they had produced. It opened on 1 January 1779, with 315
separate rooms arranged around a central open courtyard

When I was living in Halifax, the Piece Hall was pretty much a wreck and   there wasn't much to bring visitors - or even locals -  to the place.  The last time I was there   - for another family get together - the Piece Hall  was closed while  a massive renovation project took place so I was excited to
see the results of the redevelopment and improvements.

They didn't disappoint.  The place has been revitalised and cleaned up, there are elegant shops and cafés - a bookshop that made the Babe Magnet more than happy.  The huge main gates had been refreshed and repainted so that they looked fabulous and colourful.  I was only sorry that we were leaving on the day that the huge Christmas tree was being put 
up in the central courtyard of the building - but that could be a good excuse to go back again!



No comments:

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts