Thursday, January 17, 2013

Addiction . . .

Well, the winner of the calendar from the We Write Romance blog is Caroline!

Caroline - please can you send me your postal address so that I can get it into the post to you before 2013 gets much older and it's not much use to you! 

The snow is piling up outside and we don't have it anything like as bad as some people - so all me friends in Wales and the North West, keep safe and warm.

It's the perfect excuse to stay indoors and curl up with a good book  - and that's where the addiction comes in!  I was out  in town yesterday and found a book that I really wanted to share with my son (Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn if you're nosy). I'd read it and knew he would like it too - but,  oh dear, the books, normally £7.99 each were  two for £7 - so of course I had to find another title to go with this one - I mean, it's compulsory, isn't it?

I picked up a book I'd heard  a buzz about, and one that had been recommended by the Richard and Judy book club - which is usually an indication of a good read. (Gone Girl's on there too, I see.)  So I thought I'd try that.

Now I have a lot of books waiting to be read - a TBR pile - a Kindle line-up . . .  I even have just received a parcel of RITA books to read and judge . . . I don't need another book!  But to be honest, I've read several of my Christmas stocks of books and been  - underwhelmed.    I've been OK with some, some have really disappointed and two -ghost stories that I was really looking forward top fell as flat as pancakes.  I didn't need distracting, but I was looking for a good read.

I found it.   I was going to put the book I'd bought - The Good Father by Noah Hawley - on the TBR pile and get to it when . . .  but I thought I'd just have a look at the first page . . .  pages . . . Chapters . . . Mistake.

And that's why the title of this post is addiction  - I'm reading this book  - devouring it - like an addict. I want to know how it ends - but I don't want it to end. I'm picking it up whenever I can, and unlike some of my other reads it's not a question of 'it depends on how it ends as to what I think about it'  - I don't care how it ends. I'm hooked. (Don't you love it when that happens?)

So I'm posting this now and I'm going back to my living room - there's a fire, the Babe Magnet - two cats - and my book. Can't wait!  (But the RITA books are going to have to.)

8 comments:

Maria said...

I've got the TBR pile of my dreams at the moment. It's amazing how addictive Kindles are...

Caroline said...

wow - thanks Kate - I'll send an email to you shortly. thanks for picking my name out of the hat! Caroline x

Catherine said...

HI Kate
I always have a pile of TBR books on my bedside table and it often extends to stacks leaning against the side of the table as well. I read new books and also old favourites from my collection when the mood strikes. One old favourite romance that I always get great pleasure from is The Flowering Thorn by Margery Sharp. It was first published in 1948 but the main themes remain current and it never fails to give me great pleasure and the feeling of being in a new setting.

Liz Fielding said...

Keep safe and warm, Kate.

Kate Walker said...

Oh I know, Maria - it's the instant gratification that's so irresistible!

Kate Walker said...

You're welcome, Caroline - it was Charlie who picked out your name.

Kate Walker said...

Catherine - you're describing my bedsie table too! I have books on there, on my bookshelves . . on kindle . . . I never read The Flowering Thorn - I must look up that one

Kate Walker said...

Thnk you Liz - you too. Safe and warm . . . and a few good books sounds great to me.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts