Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Classic Story

 No, I'm not claiming 'classic' status for one of my books   but I did say that I would tell you a bit more about The Return of The Stranger which  is the  book I just had accepted before Christmas and which will be my next new title after The Proud Wife in March.

Like The Good Greek Wife? this book is part of a four book mini series that I was specially asked to contribute to  but this time, instead of being  rewokrings of Greek Myths, this  is a set or reworking and Modernising classic lov e stories from  English Literature.

You may remember that a while back - in September -  I asked  if  you had favourite bok of romantic fiction when the M&B editors were discussing their favvourite reads.  In that coollection the obvious contenders - Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre ,Wuthering Heights were all mentioned. And these are the Classics that will be included in this new mini series. 

The whole series is titled The Powerful and The Pure - When Beauty tames the brooding Beast!

You'll probably have seen the first book in the series out in the shops if you are in the UK - Sharon Kendrick's The Forbidden Innocent  (Jane Eyre)  was publkished in January. Coming up  are  Pride and Prejudice  and Emma  (by- I think Cathy Williams and Kate Hewitt) and then my book The Return of The Stranger which is a reworking of Wuthering Heights.


If you remember my comment back in September when I was talking about the greats of romantic fiction you'll remember that I said  this:

And I have to admit to putting my vote in for - from this list - Jane Eyre, Devil's Cub, These Old Shades . . .Not Wuthering Heights? I can hear the questions already. I love WH as a novel - But for me it's is not a love story - passion, possession - yes - but love?? There is a love story in the second half - young Cathy and Hareton but most people don't think of that. The book is the story of Cathy and Heathcliff - but for me it's not a love story.


So  - have I managed to turn it into a love story?  Make it a romance? It took some doing. I tried to keep the essential elements of the original story but take the wild, strong-willed  Cathy and the dark, brooding dangerous Heathcliff  and  let them learn about love so as to give them give them the  happy ending  Emily Bronte’s  original story could never have had.  I hope I've succeeded for a book that has been so  impoirtant to me personally throughout my life.   You'll be able to decide for yourselves when The Return of the Stranger comes out in September this year.
And I'll talk a bit more about writing it then

But before that there will be  The Proud Wife and as February is coming up , It will soon bee time for the now traditional Here Come the Grooms contest that I shall be running again with my lovely friends and fabulous writers Anne McAllister and Liz Fielding  - so look out for that.

3 comments:

LindseyHughes said...

With you all the way about WH not being a love story. Look forward to reading your treatment of it with The Return of a Straqnger - pity September is so far away.

Rachael Thomas said...

I totally agree, WH is far from a love story and I can't wait to read The Return of a Stranger to find out how you made it one. In the meantime, I've just received The Proud Wife in my subscription parcel and I'm looking forward to curling up with it over the weekend.

Nas said...

HI Kate,

Looking forward to The Return Of A Stranger.

All the best.

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts