Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sunshine and Showers

Sunshine and showers sort of sums up the feeling of today's post. I know I said I was going to post some day brighteners this week but I can't not mention two very dear friends who have both lost someone truly special in their lives.

So I'm sending special love and thoughts to Mama Duck on the loss of her father and Anne McAllister on the loss of her mother.

It's at times like these that I understand on a very special level why writing about love - in all its forms - is not the shallow, trivial thing that some would believe. Love brings such a wonderful joy into our lives and without it we would be so much poorer and life so much less. But sadly loving someone also means that one day there will be the terrible sadness of loss when they're no longer in this world. It's a tough balance, but so worthwhile.


Also worthwhile is what love and caring makes us do for others. A few weeks ago, I got an email from Renee Combs who tells me she is 'a nineteen year old female college student. This summer I am shaving my head for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation to raise childhood cancer research funds and I‘m asking for your help.

Childhood cancer is seriously under-funded and it is our job to raise awareness for the children who can’t fight this war on their own. Maybe you might put an add in your newsletter or donate an autographed book. Of course, donating money for our cause would always be welcome and gives the most direct support. Awareness is a key factor as well, tell your friends, your family anyone you can about our cause. The Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit public charity and your support may be tax deductible.

If you would like to donate directly on my site please go to https://www.stbaldricks.org/donate/donationinfo/participantid/362749/nouser/1

As a part of a group called “46 Mommas Shave For The Brave” I and the others will have our heads shaved on national TV on September 13, 2010 in an effort to raise childhood cancer awareness. I need your help with our fundraising in any way you can help.

One of the great extras of being successfully published is the way that I can help with things like this, simply by donatinga bundle of books - which I've done. But I'm always amazed by the generosity and spirit of people like Renee who take positive action to help where they can. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to shave my head, so I salute Renee and her friends who will - and I'm happy to be able to support them in what they're doing.

If you feel you could help too - the details are here.

Thank you for giving me a chance to help, Renee

Now I'm going to find Sid in whatever pool of sunlight he's snoozing and get him to pick some commenters to brighten their day

1 comment:

Laney4 said...

Okay, Kate!

What did you do with all the "commenters"??? I've had company, a haircut, a customer, and dog walking, so at least "I" finally checked out your blog! What are their excuses, LOL? I'm sure everyone is busy; I'm just one of the first to comment.

So what to comment about? Hmmm. It IS a beautiful day where I am. So beautiful that my MIL and DH have been sitting outside for the past hour in the sunshine so that I could get some paperwork done (and then check my blogs, of course!). What else, you ask? Hmmm. We've covered the weather; how about food? I'd better get upstairs to start making supper, as apparently we're eating in less than an hour and I haven't started yet. Tsk, tsk. I'm not worried. Pork chops are on the menu. I'll wing the rest. (OOPS! I should have said CHICKEN was on the menu in order to "wing" it, but I couldn't lie, LOL!)

I'll watch for further comments later on tonight. As a former CBer, I'll close with, "I hope they have their ears on, Good Buddy!"

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts