Sunday, September 20, 2009

Back home and catching up

I'm sure that life accelerates or something when you go away. Certainly, when I come back I always find that I have what seemes like twice as much to catch up with as normal.



But I'm back and I'm catching up after a fun and hectic visit to London. A visit that seemed to consist of talking, eating, drinking and more talking. But then that's what I go to AMBA etc for.


From the moment the Babe Magnet and I arrived in London (in the pouring rain - how did that happen? We left sunshine behind in Lincolnshire) it was a rush to cram everything in. The Magnet was busy researching his upcoming books - the Zulu war, artist Thomas Rowlandson who, The Magnet was thrilled to discover, was born in a street just behind the hotel we stayed in. And I was busy - well, busy lunching and dining and talking . . .



There was a wonderful relaxed lunch at Sharon Kendrick's lovely home, together with a roll call of Presents/Modern authors - Penny Jordan, Susan Stephens, Abby Green, Chantelle Shaw, Sabrina Philips. Many of the same authors plus some more (Jacqueline Baird, Margaret Mayo, India Grey, Natalie Rivers, Christina Hollis) all came together for dinner that evening - and again for the Assoication of Mills & Boon Authors lunch in Tuttons, Covent Garden the next day.



The lunch was organised with wonderful efficiency by Historical novelist Michelle Styles and you can read her account of the event over on Tote Bags and Blogs . It was wonderful to catch up with old friends, meet new authors Lucy King (Modern Heat) and Lucy Ashford (Historical) and congratulate them on their first sales.



Documentary maker Julie Moggan whose film project on Mills & Boon I mentioned way back in the centenary year was there filming the event for part of her documentary on the company which has grown from the small affectionate piece she originally planned to a major record of the worldwide phenomenon that is Harlequin Mills & Boon. She is off to Japan and India soon to add to the details she is collating. She persuaded some authors (myself included ) to do pieces to the camera. My mind went blank when confronted by the camera and microphone but I managed to say something and hope I didn't make a complete idiot of myself. I understand that the final project is planned t be shown in July next year.



After the AMBA lunch there was a special Toast to all the authors provided by HMB where presentations were made to mark Mary Masters' 50th title, Margaret Mayo's 75th - and Carole Mortimer's amazing 150th title!


I managed to forget to take my camera so the pictures I have here are thanks to lovely Liz Fielding who took the photo of myself and Kate Hardy - and someone (sorry I don't recall who) who snapped me with - on the left Sharon Kendrick and right (in black and white) Nina Harrington who last year was celebrating her very first acceptance.



The journey home was exhausting and expensive. A fatality on the line meant that all the trains were slowed and held up as they investigated - then ours was finally taken out of service so we were all turfed out on to the platform to wait for a train to Sheffield. This cost us extra as our tickets were advance train-specific ones. Then the train to Sheffield didn't stop at Sheffield because of all the delays. So we had to get another train to Sheffield and another one from Sheffield home - result a 7 hour journey instead of a 3 hour one. At least we were travelling with the wonderful Susan Stephens so between us we managed to make the best of a bad job and at least had some fun and laughter as we chatted through the worst of the delays.



So now I'm back home and working my way through the list of things to do to get up to date again. I've had some lovely emails while I was away, including a great message from the winner of the Summer Sizzler Contest I shared with Michelle Reid - she won a signed copy of Kept For Her Baby and wrote to tell me that she loved it:



Thought it was quite a risky topic area you tackled for Mills and Boon and you managed to capture it well, whilst keeping within Mills and Boon parameters - for that alone you get a gold star! More importantly, as a health visitor who has worked with many women with post natal depression, and a few unfortunate women who suffered post natal/partum psychosis (don't believe the facts - its not as rare as its made out to be!) I thought you gave credibility to the fear the women have of harming their children, how jumbled their thoughts can be, and how difficult it is to explain their feelings. Bravo Kate!



As the subject of the book made it quite a tricky one to write, I was thrilled to get this wonderful response.


Oh yes - and while I was at the Author Toast, I had some good news about an upcoming publication in the UK that I'll share with you when I have all the details to let you know.

4 comments:

Caroline said...

Looks like you had a great time at the AMBA! Take care. Caroline x

Sharon Martin said...

It's all your fault Kate. Well at least I think it's your fault as it can't possibly be mine. There I was just casually browsing the internet when I chanced upon a link to a writing holiday. Sounds like fun I thought. Wonder what that's about I pondered.

One completed booking form later and an Amazon order for your 12 point guide and here I am, embarking on a new career!

Thank you for a wonderful blog which is clearly inspirational as I am now over £400 poorer than I was last week. Wish me luck and I'll see you in Newport.

Lacey Devlin said...

Great photos!

Marilyn Shoemaker said...

Yes, it was a tricky subject to write and you wrote it beautifully!

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts