Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What the Heck . . .

Today I have to be out and about as Mrs Babe Magnet while the Magnet hmself gives a talk about his historical books in Keighley. I'm looking forward to this as it means that we get to meet up again - and stay with one of our special friends from Caerleon, crime novelist Lesley Horton. So that will be fun. Though the cats might rebel at being left again. It's only for one night and their favourite cat-sitter will be in to look after them and feed them.


Also, en route to Keighley, the Magnet needs to call at Ilkley for something whihc gives the perfect excuse to visit Bettys for afternoon tea. Suits me. I expect that I will have to pick up some Fat Rascals and bring them home for various family members. I'm only sorry that I won't be able to mail any FRs to Anne McAllister in memory of several special occasions we've enjoyed sharing tea and more in Bettys in York and Ilkley in the past.




But before we leave I have to keep a promise I made to one of my students in Caerleon last month (Hi Ayla!). Ayla's mum, Ilona sent the message that she hadn't read very much about the Hecks, the family of hedgehogs that live at the bottom of the garden and she was concerned that the hedgehogs might have died out.

So to reassure you Ilona - the Hecks are still there. It's just that I've ben so busy I haven't bee out to photograph them very much this year. But I know there are at least 3 hedgehogs snuffling around and coming to the door for food. The pair who came last year are back, usually arriving together - and they were happily engaged in making baby hedgehogs to judge from the grunting and snuffling coming from beneath the magnolia bush around June.



And then one night - or, rather, morning, when I couldn't sleep, I was looking out of the window aroun d 3am and I saw a half-grown hedgehog (possibly last year's baby) scuttling across the lawn while he thought no one could see him.



I have seen all three of them since we got back from Wales - in fact they were happily scavenging the other night, cleaning up after Flora who had left a dead bird on the lawn. The noises were disgusting but they did a great clearing up job! And the plague of snails has been brought under control thanks to them - so obviously they are feeding well - and hopefully reproducing.

3 comments:

Ayla said...

Heh, hi Kate *waves* :)

My mum says "thanks for the update, it's nice to know they're still thriving."

and i say thanks for updating too. I love hearing about the little Hecks - although ew! on the dead bird thing.

Have a great time in Keighley

felinewyvern said...

Hi Kate, just saying thank you personally for updating about the Hecks. I like reading about them as the hedgehog we ahd in our garden did a runner.

Have a great time whilst you are at Keighley and here's hoping the cats don't give you too hard a time when you get back (and you could always send Anne's FRs to us you know - I'm sure Ayla would love them ;))

Lacey Devlin said...

Oh I'd love to have some hedgehogs at the bottom of my garden. At the moment there's only Bandit the Bandicoot and she's determined not to leave any photographic evidence behind!

I have to ask what happens when the cats get a normal cat-sitter instead of their favorite?

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts