Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tote Bag of Books Presents Special Sabrina Philips

Today's author is new Presents writer, Sabrina Philips who has donated copies of her second book The Desert King's Bejewelled Bride which is a July release in the UK to the tote bag.

First of all I’d like to say a huge thank you to Kate for inviting me to join this Presents party – what a treat!

When Kate emailed me to ask if I’d like to write a short blog in celebration of the line, it was probably just as well she specified the length, because quite frankly I could go on for several thousand words about how much I love the alpha heroes, feisty heroines, exotic destinations, emotional roller-coaster plots and heart swelling happy-ever-afters that define the line I’ve always loved to read, and which I’m now lucky enough to write for. Oh, who am I kidding, I could go on for several hundred thousand words.

But given that she did, I’ve decided to be restrained and celebrate just one element of Presents, and since the signed book that I’ve donated to Kate’s fabulous bundle of prizes is my brand new release, The Desert King’s Bejewelled Bride, I thought I’d spend a few minutes waxing lyrical about sheikhs (I know, what a hardship!)

Of course Presents stories are by no means the only books which feature sheikh heroes, but for me, there’s no other place they fit quite so well. They immediately demand an exotic location, they’re rich, they’re royal, and their passionate intensity epitomises the Presents promise. In short, a sheikh is the ultimate alpha male. However, as pointed out in Kate’s great alpha blog earlier in the year, there’s more to being alpha than that. It also means having noble principles, integrity and a natural ability to lead – well for me, a sheikh epitomises those qualities above all. He commands his desert kingdom with a fierce loyalty to his people, to his ancestors before him and to the unforgiving landscape itself. And what I find so appealing is the knowledge that when the heroine ‘tames’ him, that unshakeable loyalty and passion will be directed at her forever.

Whilst sheikhs are often criticised for being too repressive and domineering when it comes to women (lately I’ve come to the conclusion that they’re a bit like marmite - you either love them or hate them), I adore them precisely those elements of his character promise such a juicy story. A sheikh hero requires a heroine daring enough to challenge his views, and there is nothing so delicious as watching him – a man usually so in control and rigid in his way of thinking – being forced to question himself because of the uncontrollable feelings he has for this one woman. Although every heroine forces her hero to re-evaluate his view of the world, sheikh heroes have to undergo such a massive internal shift in order to win the woman they love, that for me it gives that love added depth.

I don’t know whether it’s for this reason, or whether it’s because when I wrote this story I was on the verge of being a bride myself, (or because when I sent it to my editor she uttered those magical words ‘no revisions’ - certain never to be repeated!), but I have to confess, The Desert King’s Bejewelled Bride has been my favourite story to write so far. And just in case you’re the wrong side of the marmite argument, it also features a glamorous modelling assignment, an erotic fruit scene, a spontaneous game of tennis, a royal visit to a dazzling French island and an ancient law which changes everything….

The Desert King’s Bejewelled Bride is out in the UK now, and will be released as part of a delectable Presents Extra mini-series this August.

My question for Kate’s contest is: What is the name of the Presents Extra mini-series The Desert King’s Bejewelled Bride will be part of?

Hint: Visit my web site and check out the books page!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My friend, very interesting post. And your sheikh release, was plain and simply an incredible read.

Sabrina Philips said...

Thanks Marilyn! You know I was delighted to hear how much you enjoyed Kaliq and Tamara's story, here's hoping the lucky winner of Kate's Tote bag does too!

Sabrina xx

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts