Thursday, August 30, 2007

On behalf of The Hecks

A headline from Tuesday's TIMES and TIMES ON LINE


Hedgehogs on endangered list as manicured gardens take their toll




Well, not in my garden - not if last night's snuffling and grunting and snorting - and chomping and slurping when The Hecks found the cat crunchies - is anything to go by.


What's worrying me is what the merry hedgehog enclave and breeding programme outside my bedroom window says about my gardening and maintenance skills - "manicured" it is not!



But - hey - now I have the perfect excuse - I keep it - er - slightly untidy - for the Hecks! They love it that way.




But seeing as these cute, prickly creatures are now officially on the endangered species list - can I just say that if you're in the UK and if, like me, you have a slightly 'unmanicured' garden - then right now is when hedgehogs need extra nourishment to build up fat reserves ready for hibernations - and so plenty of crunchies are an extra boost to all the slugs and snails they eat.


And once they've built up those reseves of fat then one of these ->
with some nice straw or leaves left lying around outside the tunnel will give them a warm, safe, snug place for them to sleep the winter away.


The Hecks will thank you for it - and it might even help hedgehogs to stop being endangered.
Further Heck Info can be found at The Hedgehog Preservation Society

1 comment:

Liz Fielding said...

The hedgehogs are safe in my garden, then. Waist high weeds, bushes, piles of leaves...

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts