Friday, May 11, 2007

Contests, Cats and Catching up

Yesterday it rained. Real rain. Real steady soaking rain. And I for one was so glad to see it. There has been so little of any proper rain, the sort of stuff that would actually water the gardens rather than just drift over the surface and evaporate again that my plants have been wilting and shrivelling in misery.So yesterday I spent time – too much time – simply watching the water fall from the sky and revive everything. This morning everywhere looks refreshed and green and glowing. And it reminds me never ever to take for granted something as simple but as vital as clean, clear, life giving water .

I’m one of those people who always has to have a bottle of water on my desk (Sid’s curled round it at the moment!) and I drink lots and lots of it as I write. I remember once reading an article on Feng Shui that told you how to organise your desk for efficiency and success and it said that you should have a glass of water by your right hand – well, I have that but the rest of the clear, clean spaces is – er – a little untidy. Must do something about that. (That’s one good thing you can say about Sid – he covers a lot of mess when he’s lying on my desk.)

I had an interesting moment looking at Amazon.com yesterday. Remember that list of the Top Ten Kate Walker Novels? Well, looking at my books in bestselling order for that day, I noticed that some books had suddenly jumped up the listing - The Hostage Bride, 12 Month Mistress, A Sicilian Husband, Bound By Blackmail, Rafael’s Love-Child, Their Secret baby, The Sicilian’s Wife, Wife For A day, Desert Affair, His Miracle Baby, Constantine’s Revenge, The Antonakos Marriage. Of course this probably means that only one copy of each had been sold but it did make me wonder If someone had read my blog and used the Top Ten listing as a shopping list. If that was you I really hope you enjoy all those books!

Remember The Grooms – when Domenico, Theo and Max came and blogged and ran a contest? Well over on Anne McAllister’s blog, Theo is back and he’s looking to organise another contest - but he needs ideas. Any suggestions?Talking of contests, I love sending out the prizes and hearing from winners to know that they’ve arrived. Last week I heard from Emily S who won over on My Tote Bag and this morning I heard from Stephanie in Iowa who won one of the Irish bookmarks in my recent contest to celebrate the publication of Sicilian Husband Blackmailed Bride. Stephanie won the special prize offered to members of my Newsletter. It was great to hear from my winners but – oh dear – Ruby (India Grey’s cat) now has competition! Stephanie’s beautiful cat Lily has sent him pics of herself. I don’t know – that cat gets so much more fan mail than I do!

Talking of cats – I have to take the eldest – Redford (Bob to his friends) to the vet today. As I mentioned, he has a sore paw and it’s not getting any better he’s hobbling about very slowly so he clearly rest and recuperation is not helping it. He might be struggling a bit and be very elderly but it hasn’t doused the spark of his personality. Yesterday, because he was hobbling into the garden – having refused to use the litter tray – that’s for cissies and indoor cats! - I helped him by carrying him to a patch of soft earth in the shrubbery. He took a look around – glared at me, clearly deciding that my choice of spot was just not good enough – and hobbled several yards to find one that suited him. That’s my Alpha male!





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww! Hope Bob's okay and the vet can sort out his paw.

Anonymous said...

Poor Bob, hope he's better soon. My mum carries her old cats down to the garden as well, another well trained owner!
My copy of The Sicilian's Red-hot Revenge arrived today and I'm just about to start it(squeals of excitement!). I've scanned back over the blog archives looking for a 'visual' of Vito, has there been one posted? If not, and assuming you had one particular pic as inspiration, can we have a peek some time?
Best wishes,
Rach.

Anne McAllister said...

Keep us posted on Bob's paw. Sending good thoughts his way.

ps: I bet I know Someone who isn't as thrilled by the rain as you are.

Kate Walker said...

Nicolette - I hope so too, I think Bob has got something stuck in his paw - I can't see it though. He's not limping as badly as before but it wants looking at.

Rachel I think your Mum and I would get on - these cats do train us well. I hope you enjoy Vito. I don't think I posted a picture that inspired me for Vito - possibly because he came so 'fully formed' as it was that I didn't really need the inspiration at the time. And now that the cover is so great I think i'll leave that as the visual for him

Anne - I'm just about to take Bob to the vet so I'll report as soon as I know. I worry because he is such an old gentleman - and you're right Someone is not at all thrilled by the rain - and there's rain at every door! Disgusting!

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts