Wednesday, April 25, 2007

On the road again

Well - on the train actually.

The Spaniard is tweaked and back with my Editor and the BM and I are heading for London today. Friday is the RNA Romantic Novel of the Year Award and the presentation of the Romance Prize. And on Thursday the BM is taking the oppoprtunity of being in the big smoke to do research into things grim and gruesome for one of the history books he has a contract to write. I believe this will involve following the trail of Jack the Ripper and finding out about police in London including a Police Station that once featured heavily in an episode of The Professionals. So that should keep him busy while I do a little research on my own - into Retail Therapy.


And Friday we'll be at the Savoy Hotel for the Awards Lunch. This time the Main Speaker is Dame Tanni Grey-Thompson who is also the Chair of the judges.
The short list for the main award are these titles:
A Step in the Dark by Judith Lennox
Beyond the Blue Hills by Katie Flynn
Iris & Ruby by Rosie Thomas
Learning by Heart by Elizabeth McGregor
The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook by Matt Dunn
Welcome to the Real World by Carole Matthews

You can read more about the shortlist for the Romantic Novel of the Year here.

And then there is the shortlist for the Romance Prize
Accepting the Boss’s Proposal Natasha Oakley, HMB. .
An Improper Companion by Anne Herries, HMB Historical.
Her Ready Made Family by Jessica Hart, HMB Romance.
Nicola Cornick, HMB Historical.
Marrying Max by Nell Dixon
The Gladiator’s Honour by Michelle Styles, HMB Historical
The Millionaire’s Runaway Bride by Catherine George, HMB Modern/Presents.

Most of these are written by friends and authors I respect - but I'll admit I do have a favourite - though I'm not going to say which one! They'd all be worthy winners.

Anyone like to have a go at picking the two winners? Post your choices while I'm away and let's see if anyone gets both right. There might even be a prize in it - but entries have to be posted before the end of Thursday. It's no good coming in after the results are announced.

And I'll be back with the result and the report at the weekend

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt if I get it right but my personal choice of winners would be
Beyond the Blue Hills by Katie Flynn & The Millionaire’s Runaway Bride by Catherine George.

Anonymous said...

Have a lovely time, Kate.

I'll have a go at picking two winners:

Gladiator's Honour by Michelle Styles as it's so fresh and different although it has some stiff competition.

And The Ex-Boyfriend's Handbook by Matt Dunn

Sue

Unknown said...

Michelle said you were taking guesses - I really want Natasha to win :) Anyone I know, really, but it would be great if she got the nod.

Jessica Raymond said...

I vote for "A Step in the Dark" by Judith Lennox and "Marrying Max" by Nell Dixon.

Jess

Anonymous said...

Michele styles and Catherine George are my 2 picks.

Unknown said...

Hope you're having a great time this weekend!

Lee

Kate Walker said...

Thank you all for your predictions - no one got it exactly write for the 2 awards but Jessica came closest as she voted for Nell's winning title - Jessica I'll email you

Kate Walker said...

Oh dear - typing too fast - no one got it exactly RIGHT! Not write :-(

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts