Sunday, January 21, 2007

Starting again

This morning I was unfaithful

No – not to the BM - or even to Sid! No, I was unfaithful to my hero – or heroes – to Domenico who is the man of the moment – and seems determined to prove it by taking over this blog at any opportunity – to Guido who is the new man coming up in the UK. And I’ve even moved on from Andreas the Greek Pineapple. He’s done and dusted and I need a new hero.

I have another book to write and because Domenico has been so much in my mind (and on my blog) lately, it’s his image – that nicely brooding sexy image that has been accompanying his posts – that has been coming into my thoughts instead of the image of the hero I’m creating.

And that will not do. Because Raul is the new hero. And Raul is not Domenico. For one thing Raul is Spanish, not Italian. And Raul has a very different story from Domenico’s

So I need a Spanish hero. There is one obvious candidate – and as I was watching the film Take The Lead last week, the image of Antonio Banderas dancing the tango was very definitely one that will stay in my mind. But I needed a different mood – and different image – a new man.
It’s fascinating how some photographs of the same person can give a totally different image of the same person.


The picture of Domenico for example that has been on this blog – and Anne’s and Liz’s - lately – could have been this one.

He's the same man, a very inspirational pic – a very nice dog – but not Domenico. Too smiley. Too relaxed. Too easy going – not the brooding complex man that Domenico Parrisi is.












So it has to be this one. No other will do.




It’s the same with Raul. I knew the man who looks like Raul. I’ve seen him on TV and all over other authors’ blogs. But not quite the right picture. Not the one that inspires me. So I went on a Raul hunt – and here are some of the results –

This picture has a lot going for it - a lot! It's Raul all right -but this Raul will come into the story later on - I need an image to start off my story. And image that speaks to me of the mood that Raul is in as the book opens. And this is not it.

Nor is this one




Or this one
Same man - so it has to be Raul - but not my Raul. Not the Raul my heroine meets. Well, no - he might be the Raul she met the first time around - because these two have a past. But he's very definitely not the Raul who appears at the beginning of the book.

And then I found the picture that just fitted. The one that means I can get started


This is Raul at the opening of the book - so now he's clear in my mind
All I need now is his heroine . . .

6 comments:

Anne McAllister said...

Ah, very nice. Pensive, is he, at the beginning? At least that's what he looks like to me. He seems to have lots on his mind.

I'm sure you'll find a heroine who is worthy of him. Go, Kate!

Anne

Jennifer Y. said...

Oooh...Raul sounds fascinating...nice pics.

Kate Walker said...

Anne, he's pensive and . . . Ah but you'll have to wait and see

Glad you like him Jennifer - they are great pics aren't they. There's another one I really like but for some reason blogger won't let me post. But I enjoyed researching Raul today - it would be nice to think that the rest of the book would be as easy and enjoyable.

Natasha Oakley said...

There are definite perks to this job!

Might I suggest I would make the perfect heroine for your Raul???? He's lovely. :)

Playground Monitor said...

Hi Kate! I'm a member of the Hood and just wanted to pop in and say hello. And oh my gosh, wasn't that tango in "Take the Lead" just yummy? My hubby and I were taking ballroom classes last year when that movie came out. We'd just learned the tango (not that well, however -- just beginners) and that inspired us to want to do better.

I loved Raoul Bova in "Under the Tuscan Sun" too.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes to picture her heroes and heroines.

Big Hood wave to you!

Marilyn

Kate Walker said...

Natasha - you are definitely the perfect heroine for Raul - I was actually thinking of the colour hair you had when I first met you - so I shall have you in mind as I write ;-)

Marilyn - how lovely to see one of the Hoods come and visit. I had so much fun with you and writing the Sheikh story in the WRR led to my second Sheikh book so it was great for me too


Kate

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts