Monday, January 15, 2007

In Dublin's Fair City - 2


I have so many wonderful memories of this weekend that it’s hard to choose which ones I should post here. From the moment that we arrived in Dublin (after a hair raising flight from UK with torrential rain coming down in sheets so that you couldn’t see the plane, never mind the end of the runway and gale forced winds) where we were picked up by our carefully chosen to be entertaining driver, Pat (who turned out to be a scriptwriter himself with – hopefully – a TV series coming up soon) to the moment we took off again on Sunday in bright blue skies and mild temperatures we had a wonderful time.

But of course the book launch was the highlight of the weekend. And one thing’s for sure - Irish writers know how to throw a great party.

There was a large crowd of friendly, welcoming, interesting and interested people – Pat the driver showed up again, as did 6 Mills & Boon editors over from Richmond, Trish Wylie from the North of Ireland, Susan Stephens who had put in effort above and beyond the call of duty to get there. Her plane flight from Leeds was cancelled because of the gales, Doncaster airport flight was full – Manchester grounded - so she and her friends took a taxi to Teeside and finally landed just in time to make it to their hotel and then to the Odeon Bar where the event was held. Everyone was delighted and thrilled that Abby had her first book published and the large number of copies she had ready to sign disappeared in a matter of minutes. With typically Abby-like generosity, she asked people to make donations to a cancer charity in return for a book - in memory of Abby’s Mother who died of the disease some years ago.

There was plenty of wine , food, soft music – and one of the highlights of the evening was a demonstration of tango dancing – Abby dances the tango – she’s a multi-talented lady! And everything they say about the hot, intense sensuality of that dance is true. It’s no wonder that Abby understand the hot intensity and passion needed write a great Presents novel – it’s obviously in her blood.

There was an amazing mixture of people – people from the film world where Abby works, her large extended family, and many friends, even her junior school headmaster turned up to help celebrate.
And then there was the Grand Dame of Irish writing, world-famous, best-selling novelist Maeve Binchy. Just to hear her name made my heart leap – I’ve read so many of her books and loved them, and I’ve watched the film Circle of Friends that was based on her book. ‘Come and meet Maeve,’ said Abby and I admit I felt my knees tremble. I actually curtsied when I was introduced - who wouldn’t – this lady is a multi-million bestseller. But she couldn’t have been warmer and more welcoming – or more interesting. She told me how she had come to know Abby through Abby’s mother, how she had held the new Presents author when Abby was just 6 weeks old. We talked books of course - I learned of two new film versions (one big screen and one TV ) of her books that are appearing soon. And we talked about writing. She was fascinated to hear of my 51 books – so much shorter than her blockbusters but she was interested to know about writing for Mills & Boon and asked me what my latest book was about. She even asked for a copy of Sicilian Husband, Blackmailed Bride. I shall be both honoured and terrified to send it to her. And we discussed the way that the current trend is for the Mediterranean Man to be considered the most passionate, most exciting of heroes - which was a pity we both agreed as we were both married long term to our own English heroes. We both had a husband who was born in Leeds, I learned.

I could have talked to her all night. But lots of people wanted to meet her too – and I didn’t want to monopolise her company, But I met one of my own personal literary heroes and I shall never forget it. And I have photos to prove it.

The rest of the evening was a blur of meeting people, talking about my parents’ time in Dublin, explaining that my uncle still lived there. Whenever I looked up the BM was talking to someone else and obviously enjoying himself every bit as much as I was. I spent time with Susan Stephens who like me has a book (The Greek’s Bridal Purchase) coming out in America in February, with Trish Wylie who gave me a copy of her next Modern Extra release Breathless which I am so looking forward to reading . And I spent some time with all the HMB editors who arrived looking truly glamorous and ready to enjoy the warm Irish hospitality. My editor told me that we weren’t to talk about work – except for one thing – she had the title for the Greek Pineapple book – the one that has just been called Andreas’s story.
Its official title will be The Greek Tycoon’s Reluctant Wife when it’s published in November.
Trish Wylie



Eventually my voice finally gave out. And the BM was starting to croak too. The party had begun at 7- in the early hours of the morning we left and made our way back to our hotel through the now mild dark night. Back in my room I tried to sleep but my mind was a whirl of faces, sounds, impressions, laughter – the perfect aftermath of a wonderful party

Thanks so much Abby – we had a fabulous time!
All the HMB eds with
Susan Stephens & Abby in the front

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW! Maeve Binchy. WOW! Sweaty palms here thinking about it.

The Irish know how to throw a party and I am thrilled daisy didn't let the side down!! I have ordered her book and look forward to reading it. Tell her to get a blog or something.

Thanks for sharing it all with us. Its a little like being there with you.

best,

Anonymous said...

So glad you had such a wonderful time and that the pineapple finally has a proper name! I have just started Abby's book and it's wonderful so far. Can I join the hoards in asking you to nudge her 'blogwards'?

Kate Walker said...

I know Liz- Maeve Binchy! I felt in awe of her but she was so lovely and easy to talk to. I hope you enjoy Abby's book .

Hi Rachel! Thank you - did have a fantastic time. I am nudging Abby blogwards - and/or site-wards - honestly! But these things take time. And you just reminded me about the Greek pineapple - that name has been slightly 'tweaked' I must mention that on the blog

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts