Sunday, July 16, 2006

Normal service can now be resumed . . .

The space between posts has been longer than I planned.

First there was the trip North for the RNA Conference and several days away. Then there was the usual sorting out when we got back.

And then there was the damn Sicilian! I had hoped to finish this book before I went to Penrith but a migraine put paid to that, so I've been fighting a battle to the death with Vito Corsentino for the past few days. I usually love endings, but this time these two just wouldn't get to that Happy Ever After - they kept arguing! I began to feel like someone climbing a wild, difficul mountain, believing that there was a lovely, peaceful village on the other side, and a nice smooth slope leading down to it - just get to the top, and the journey would be so easy from then onwards.

But it seemed that each time I got to the top, all I actually saw as another mountain needing to be climbed! You'd think after 48 books - 49 with this one - I'd be used to it! But it was one of those books I had to wrestle with all the way.

But it's done now - finished. I wrote the last words yesterday afternoon, and I'm just checking through the ms before I send it off to my editor's desk and then can relax a little bit.


But not for long - I have a course on Romance writing to prepare. From Sunday, I shall be at Writers' Holidays in Caerleon when the BM is teaching Getting Started as a Writer and I'm teaching a series of workshops based on the 12 Point Guide To Writing Romance. So that's going to keep me busy for a while.

Incidentally, if you're interested in the course and have the week of 23rd-28th July 2006 free, I understand that there are still just 5 places left on this year's bookings. Check out Writers' Holidays website for details.

And I'll be posting a little more regularly again now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Kate. Glad you managed to contain your Sicilian. Now make sure you get some me-time before you go back into teaching mode. :o)

Anonymous said...

Good to have you back and many congratulations on wrestling Vito into submission in the end!!! I am in awe. Nearly 50 books! I finished the draft of my third yesterday and am petrified my editor will loathe it and reject it out of hand. I have a good edit to do on it before sending - if I can pluck up the nerve!!!

Enjoy your well-earned rest before your next project.

Best wishes,
Mags xx

Sela Carsen said...

Caerleon sounds so wonderful! Stimulating and relaxing at the same time. Enjoy!

Susan Rix said...

Congrats on finishing the book. I'm feeling scared about getting back to mine - and I'm not sure if it's reassuring or not to hear that you sometimes still have to wrestle with yours; I've been living with the hope that they get easier to write!

Message to Blueberri: As an MS sufferer and member of the MS Society, please pass on my/our thanks to your husband and daughter for raising some much needed funds.

Sue :-)

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts