Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Double Trouble

Twice the fun – or twice the trouble?

At the moment, I’m working with 2 heroes at once. This is because when my editor asked me what I was working on now, I foolishly opened my mouth and told her. I’m writing about a Sicilian hero, I said. Oh great, she said, I love your Italian heroes. Is it going well?

Er – yes – but, you see, this guy has a brother. . .

Now don’t ask me why this particular Sicilian hero has to have a brother. After all, some heroes have brothers – some don’t. Theo in The Antonakos Marriage doesn’t have a brother and neither does another Italian hero – Domenico in The Italian’s Forced Bride, the book that’s coming out next month. But Malik, in the book after that, very definitely has a brother – in fact, he’s the one who causes all the trouble . . . But that’s another story.

So some heroes have brothers and some don’t. And some heroes have brothers who are just content to stay in the background, while for others their siblings, while waiting politely enough for Joe or Fred to have his day, and his story, then insist on moving centre stage themselves and having their story told as well please!

This is what happened when I wrote The Alcolar Family trilogy. I started with a short story – an internet on-line read on eHarlequin.com and a hero called Alex. Alex Alcolar. Alex started out nice and simple – or so I thought. There was just him and his heroine Louise – and a villain who was not related to either of them. At least that was how it worked when they were in England.

But then they moved to Spain. And in Spain, it seemed, there was not one but two brothers for Alex – half-brothers, if I’m being strictly accurate – and a sister. Joaquin, Ramon and Mercedes. And before I knew what was happening, Joaquin, Ramon and Mercedes had all demanded their own stories asap. And so The Alcolar Family was born.

Since then I’ve had nice, uncomplicated families for my heroes. Well, not emotionmally uncomplicated, but uncomplicated by any would –be heroic brothers – or would-be heroines in their sisters. Theo, Domenico, Malik, all had their stories written quite easily. There were no ‘extras’ appearing stage left and threatening to take over the whole thing.

Until Guido came along – and brought his brother Vito with him.

I should have known they were trouble from the start. After all they have always been a ‘package deal’ ever since a lovely lady – a reader of mine (waving to Lori in case she’s reading this) – gave me permission to use her brother’s names for two of my heroes some time. So ‘Guido and Vito Corsentino’ is how they’ve always been known. And it’s been a struggle to split them up to write one story first.

They didn’t like that! With the Alcolars I knew bits – an important fact about Ramon’s wedding day which was like a pebble thrown into pond, and sending ripples flowing outwards from if, affecting everything that came before and after. I knew that Mercedes’ hero had to be English and that he was some way connected to Ramon’s English mother (the Alcolars really are a complicated family!). And I knew about Joaquin’s ‘Twelve Month Rule.’ But I also knew a lot more about Joaquin and he was the eldest after all. He wanted his story told first – and Ramon and Mercedes were prepared to wait until it was their turn.
Not the Corsentino brothers. Each one had a story and already they’d told me so much about themselves that I could have sat down and started on either book. Guido’s or Vito’s - it didn’t matter which. In fact, I couldn’t decide which one I wanted to write most. They both fascinated me.

So I opened my mouth and told my editor about the fact that they were brothers. Would she mind, I said, if I wrote one brother’s story first – and then the second? Mind? She grabbed at the idea.

So now I am writing two linked books about first Guido and then Vito Corsentino. But as they’re linked, they have to come out close together and that means I have to get them done fast so they can go into the scheduling together. It’s a challenge. But I like challenges.And luckily, right at this moment I’m enjoying writing the books too. Once I let Guido have his head he took on the role with enthusiasm, and marched into the church where . . . But no, you’ll have to read the book to find out about that.

And why Guido first? Well I could say that he’s the elder and so is pulling rank, but it wouldn’t be true. It was when I ‘saw’ him walk into that church and I ‘saw’ the reaction of a member of the congregation – not his heroine – that I realised Guido’s story had to come first and Vito’s will follow after.What was that reaction? Well again you’ll have to read Guido’s book to find out – and then you’ll have to read Vito’s story to have it all explained.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a tease!!!! Really fascinating, though. Writing is often such a solitary occupation and I certainly don't get to chat very often to other writers, so it is great to hear how things happen and work. And that I am not the only one who sometimes has characters take over and completely disrupt my life! No matter how I wail 'but you aren't meant to do that', the odd rogue will always ignore me and do his own thing! Can't wait for your Italian brothers. Good luck writing the two side by side - or back to back. Sounds delicious, quite honestly, with two yummy Latin males!!
Best wishes,
Mags

Anne McAllister said...

Well, yes, you are a tease -- but I know that you've now got Guido out of the church so things are progressing.

Unless, of course, he gets lost on those English roads and spends the rest of the book with his nose in the A to Z trying to find his way to the airport! Go, Guido!

Anonymous said...

You sure know how to leave a girl in suspenders, Kate! Can't wait to read Guido's story. ~Sharon J

Danica Favorite said...

Kate, you are positively rotten. But we do love you. :)

Kate Walker said...

Mags - I love teasing with hints about my books - I suspect it's the smae sort of thing as leaving a cliffhanger at the end of a chapter.

Then again, perhaps that reveals a misspent life watching TV soaps - I just love that 'dum, dum, dum dum' bit at the end of Eastenders.

Anne - don't worry Guido is well oput of that church and as he's in a chauffeur riven car he's not getting lost. Besides, he knows exactly where he's going - and it's only a short drive away.

Hi again Sharon! Ah yes, well the idea is to leave you in suspenders - then maybe you'll look for the book. Though it won't be out till about this time next year.

Dream - hugs - I'm sort of glad you think I'm rotten - it means I've sparked interest! Love you too - and miss you.

Hi Lidia- great to 'see you. I've let both of your posts appear so you can see they do get through - it's just that I set up the blog so that i have to approve everything first - that way nothing nasty slips through.

About the publication of the Corsentino books - that's why I'm working so hard on them right now. The diea is to bring them out as close together as possible - maybe even in two consecutive months. But I'm not sure when they'll appear in America. As soon as I find out, I'll let you know

Back to Guido - who is just getting out of that car . . . .


Kate

Sharon J said...

This time next year? [sigh]. I'll have forgotten all about it by then :-( Oh well, I'm sure it'll be mentioned on the blog again and my memory will be jogged.

I'm off back to being a bad girl. No... not me. Julie Cohen's book. Have you read that "go fish" scene? Whoah! ~Sharon J

Kate Walker said...

Sharon - if you want, I can put you on my email list and then you'll get to know when all my new books come out - but, yes, you can bet I'll be mentioning Guido in my blog when publication date comes around

Anonymous said...

I can't wait!!

 

Home Bio Books USA Readers Writers Contests Events Blog Links

Join Kate's Newsletter

Email Kate

Modified and Maintained by HR Web Concepts